Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Redhead Goes to the Farmer's Market


Big Daddy suggested the other day that we make a trip to the local farmer's market. I'll have to admit it was only mildly inviting. Sounded like more fun than grouting tile or flossing teeth, but not quite as fun as Target. But Im always game for some shoppin.


I was blown away. It was an ant hill of people. I dont grow things (my silk plants are shakin in their pots right now) so we completely skipped the garden center. But if you are into that, it looked like it was overflowing with seasonal vegetables, herbs, yard plants and flowers. We went mainly for the produce, since we are trying to make an effort to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. Seeing the homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers and squash took me back to my grandparents house where my Papaw used to have a garden. My grandmother "Doll" always had a jar of cucumbers and onions with vinegar over it. I always thought that was the grossest thing, but I'd love to be able to try that right out of her jar. We had a lovely conversation with one seller about tomatoes, yellow ones to be exact. I tried a yellow cherry tomato, just put it right in my mouth and ate it. It was very sweet for a tomato and not acidy at all. Very yummy. We got a big yellow tomato which will go perfect in a tomato pie.

Tonight we are going to have some eggplant parmesan and I bought some yellow crookneck squash that I'll put in the freezer for later. Big Daddy and Golden Boy were salivating over some cheddar jalapeno bread that smelled soooo good, and not too spicy for me, the wimp of the family. I heard that Thursday is bread day, get there early or there wont be any left.

We also saw a big pea-bean shelling thing. Big Daddy said used to sit out on his grandmothers front porch and turn his fingers purple by shelling some purple hull peas. No way you could compete with the volume you could shell with this thing.



Oh yeah. It was hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment