Monday, July 5, 2010

Life Imitates Food Network

This weekend while we were at Pop's for the fireworks, some Ripley tomatoes jumped out of a box and into my car. I brought them into the house and put them on the counter. They looked all pretty. Then I remembered Saturday morning watching Down Home with the Neely's on Food Network, and seeing Gina's Summer Tomato Pie. Mmmmmm. I love me some Ripley tomatoes. Grandmother used to bring us some in a bucket every summer about this time and I would make some salsa. I have a Ripley Tomato Cookbook, and one of the things I saw in there that is so yummy is a baked stuffed tomato. But that is for another post!

Copied straight from the Food Network site, here is the recipe:

Ingredients
Flour, for dusting work surface
1 (9-inch) ready-made refrigerated rolled pie crust
2 large yellow tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 red tomato, sliced 1/4-inch thick
8 ounces mozzarella, sliced
1/4 cup chiffonade basil leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I omitted this!)
Extra-virgin olive oil
Directions
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Sprinkle flour on a work surface. Roll out pie dough to form a 10-inch circle and place on baking sheet. Overlap and alternate the different tomatoes and mozzarella slices in the center of the dough, leaving a 3-inch border. Scatter the basil leaves on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Fold the uncovered edges of the dough inward over the filling to create a pleated crust. Brush edges and top of pie with olive oil.

Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven to a cutting board. Slice and serve.

So here is my version....
Before


After


Got 3 thumbs up! You didnt really think Drama Queen was gonna eat that, didya? At our house we would call this recipe "a keeper."

1 comment:

  1. LOOKS GREAT AND TASTY!!! I will take her slice.
    Share the salsa recipe too . Where can I get a Ripley Tomato cookbook??

    gsmith3417@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete