Monday, March 29, 2010

Parents in a jar

Caution: irreverence ahead.

Some of you may know that in the last 10 years I have lost both my parents. NO, I did not just lay them down and walk off and forget. Like, they both passed away. Got it? Ok good.

My mother, she wanted to be cremated. How ironic, I thought, since she smoked like a chimney. So following her wishes she was cremated and placed in a beautiful pink cloissonne urn which lived in my parents back bedroom for about 7 years. I often wondered, how do you know that its Mom in there? How do you know they didnt just scoop up a big pile and really its some of Mr Jones and some of Mrs Smith and some of Mom? What would it matter? Its only ashes anyway.

She stayed in my parents back bedroom ("my mom, she doesnt get out much") until my dad moved into the assisted living. I took her to live with me after that. Funny thing was that on the way to my house, the urn fell over and the lid came off and it rolled all around the back of the van. But have no fear, she was all sealed up in a ziplock bag and arrived at my house a little shaken up but intact.

Yeah my dad he was cremated too. Thats a story for another post.

3 comments:

  1. I love someone who can approach a serious subject in a "less than serious" way. I bet your mom had a great sense of humor .. like you, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for part 2. You could be a commercial for Ziploc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev
    No I actually got my sense of humor from my dad. He had a very dry quick wit. Up till the end. I told him on his last day "put your glasses on, Dad. You look funny without them." He replied "I look funny WITH them too"

    Cathy
    Hey hadnt thought of that. Maybe they could feature me on a commercial?

    ReplyDelete