Monday, March 15, 2010

Golden Boy


My son, referred to here on the blog as Golden Boy, is 15 years old and a freshman in high school. We call him Golden Boy because he is one of those people who masters everything pretty much without any effort (well everything but rollerskating, thats for another post).Everything he touches turns to gold. He started singing pretty well when he was a young lad in preschool. I picked him up one day from preschool and his teacher said "Cody sings so well!" "Yes, I know" I replied. "NO, he sings REALLY well" He will hate that I told this but he once was obsessed with Disney movies. One that he was especially into was Little Mermaid. He would play with his Little Mermaid figurines and sing the aria that Ariel does when the evil sea witch Ursula was stealing her voice. aaahaaaaAAAAAH, aaaahaaaAAAH, aaaahhaaaAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! And pretty much spot on, to my naked untrained ears. Kinda made me want to puke.

He sang his first solo in church at 5 years old "Happy Birthday Jesus." Yes he was in Kindergarten and there wasnt a dry eye in the house when he was done. Well now he had set a precedent. So his major feat in first grade was recording a the children's solo in a song on a CD with our adult choir at church. He just happened to lose one of his top teeth a few days before the recording and I was so afraid he would whistle when he sang words with "s" in them, but he did not. It is such a joy for me as a mom for him to use his talent like that for the Lord.

He started playing piano in 2nd grade and the french horn in 6th grade. (Yes this is a big commercial for my son so if you dont like it, just go to the next blog and come back tomorrow, I'll have something else witty to say.) Along the way he has been in some musicals locally such as The Music Man (once as Winthrop and once as Marcellous), Alice in Wonderland, and Seussical to name a few. He gets really embarrassed when people make over him and really doesnt like to get up in front of people so being in productions has really helped him with this. He certainly doesnt have an "Im better than you" attitude and for that I am very proud. He has also made All-Southwest Honor Choir 3 years, this year not even being a member of the chorus at school and just learning the music on his own (and with a little help from his first piano teacher and childrens choir director). The boy just never ceases to amaze me.

It's amazing to me how so much talent is in that boy considering his parents. To say that we are just your average choir members would pretty much sum us up. His gifts are truly straight from God and I hope I'll be around to see him use them for God's glory for many years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Very proud of Golden Boy (glad he enjoyed the many faces of the Rev). One correction, however. The Redhead and Big Daddy are far from "average" choir members. I know for a fact they have had EXCELLENT training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This girl is still proud of that boy. Everytime I listen to that Christmas recording, I cry. He was/is so easy to work with and learns so quickly. I'd say mom and dad are pretty good themselves. Can't wait to see what God will do with him and sweet sis in the future.

    ReplyDelete