Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Still alive....and a restaurant review

Yes I am still alive. I just havent had anything funny happen or anything to write about. Its pretty much been work eat sleep lather rinse repeat.

I do want this blog just to be about every day things. Not necessarily a "mommyblog" although I will write about my kids and the funny things they do and say. Not necessarily a "foodblog" but hey, I wrote about the cake.

Today I had the opportunity to have lunch with my husband at someplace I'd never been. So today, youre getting a restaurant review. Its not newspaper worthy I'm sure, but most everyone eats out at some time or another, so here we go:

Deli Mexicana
1215 S Germantown Parkway, Germantown Tn
They have a website, click it! http://delimexicana.com/

We eat out mexican alot, primarily because its something everyone in my house will eat. The picky one, DQ, is all about some white cheese dip. Sometimes when we eat mexican its all she will get. This is not your normal mexican restaurant which lately seem to be cropping up on every corner (and is in reality "Tex-mex" if you want to get technical).We met the son of the owner who gave us the story on the place. It is owned by his dad who is from Mexico City. He opened it as a hobby and also because there just isnt any place else around like it. They dont buy any food from distributors (ie Sysco) and there is no sour cream, no cheese dip, no ground beef. Everything is market to table or farm to table. Im not the most adventuresome when it comes to ordering and he was eager to help us order from the menu. Its deli-style, so think Brooklyn-deli-meets authentic-mexican.

For a starter we had the obvious which is chips and salsa. The salsa was delightfully fresh with tomatoes and cilantro and a hint of lime. It reminded me a lot of my own salsa I make when the Ripley tomatoes are in season. I wasnt a big fan of the chips, they were a little thick but that's just my preference. Next we tried the steamed corn that was covered with cojita cheese (similar to parmesan) and red pepper. It was served on the cob with a skewer like you get from the fair. YUM YUM YUM! Very light and refreshing.

The entree section of their menu can be served either Tortuga (sandwich) or Taco style. Big Daddy ordered De Huevo con Chorizo (egg and sausage) taco style. It was plentiful with slices of avocado on top. He will have to chime in on the comments to tell what it tasted like. Haha. I ordered the De Pollo Gianajuato (roasted chicken) tortuga. It was pieces of roasted chicken served on a crusty bun type bread cut diagonally. It also had a huge slice of white cheese which was good and didnt overpower the chicken. You also got some chips, a little salsa, and a green Salsa de Aquacate Tayde which is an avocado based spicy green sauce for dipping.

It was a refreshing change from the normal mexican fare we usually have. The line to order was out the door the whole time we were there, it seems to be a really busy place for worker people having lunch. We will most definitely go back there, maybe for dinner time.

3 comments:

  1. Mom & I have eaten there, but it's been awhile.
    Time to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that place... if I worked close by I would go every week. I have tried several items and all of it has been good.

    Loved your Restaurant Review....

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey its Big Daddy
    My dish was great. I am a fan of Chorizo how ever I can get it so I will be back to try different things

    ReplyDelete